There is so much to love about being a wedding photographer. I especially love the ceremony because it is so rich with anticipation and emotion. When couples write their own vows, it is especially powerful. It gives me a deeper insight into the history of their relationship, and an understanding of what drew them together.
Here are a few quick tips to get started in writing your own wedding vows:
1. Relax! You don't have to be a professional writer to pull this off. Your wedding vows should come from the heart so just be yourself and write what you feel. Writing down what you appreciate most about your fiancé, or how you have grown during the relationship, will help guide your thoughts.
2. Once you tap into your feelings, write everything down. You can make sense of it later...... right now, just make sure that you are writing down everything that comes to you! Humor is always appreciated! It’s wonderful to mix a little laughter in with the tears! (It also makes for great photographs)
3. After a few days, you will probably have pages filled with notes. Now you need to sit down and organize your thoughts. You may have some thoughts that you want to keep personal, and others that you’ll want to share with your guests. Get them prioritized and into meaningful sentences.
4. Some couples may want to keep their vows private, and share it with their other half on the big day. Other couples will want to be on the same page, and have a mutual idea of what will be said. Only you can know what works best for you!
5. Practice, practice, practice. You will be excited and nervous on your wedding day, so being prepared is good! Practice your vows until they become second nature. Your ceremony will be an emotional time, and adequate preparation will help you stay focused!
6. Remember to wear waterproof mascara!!!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! I look forward to seeing you there!